Chris Turner Sports & Wellbeing Analytics CEO
As we reflect back over the last few months of the most turbulent year for sport any of us can remember, it is apparent that digital communication is more important than ever. We are proud to launch our bimonthly newsletter which aims to keep you, our community, updated and informed on our news, developments and insights. We also wanted to highlight other related interesting work that is going on in the world of contact sport that we believe will be of interest to you and put it into a single simple format for you.
The PROTECHT system’s main objective is to provide performance enhancing solutions for the athlete before, during and after the game whilst always keeping their welfare at the forefront of everything we do. PROTECHT uses an intelligent mouthguard to actively monitor impacts to a player’s head during any contact sport. Its USP is that it is LIVE. Moreover, the PROTECHT system can support physical, tactical and technical adaptations to improve performance by providing objective data on impacts. It provides analytics that have been developed to give coaches the best possible perspective and richer data to make the best possible decisions on both the health of the player and the performance of the athletes and team.
As always, we are eager to collaborate to make the PROTECHT system deliver the best results and value to you. Please do not hesitate to reach out to any of the team if you have any questions, queries or ideas. Thank you for working with us and we hope you find this newsletter interesting.
In the News
- Following the restart of the 2019/20 season, three additional clubs begin to work with the PROTECHT system
Gloucester, Harlequins, Leicester Tigers
- We were proud to sponsor the Ospreys this season who continue to benefit from the PROTECHT system
- SWA were delighted to win the Best Technology for Injury Prevention/Rehabilitation at the 2020 Sports Technology Awards and were also shortlisted for Best Sports Equipment at the Sports Technology Awards, Best Emerging Tech at the Welsh Start Up Awards, Best MedTech Start Up in the Welsh Start Up Awards and named in the top 15 Welsh Tech companies in 2020.
- We have also been in the news a lot including these articles in the Daily Mail regarding how PROTECHT was supporting clubs mitigate for injuries in the fixture pile up post COVID, Men’s Health about the PROTECHT can help solve the concussion problem in boxing, The Times where former WBO champion Chris Eubank urged boxers to use PROTECHT and also in The Mail where Conor McGregor was urged to wear the instrumented mouthguard in preparation for his next fight
- Dr Chris Jones presented as part of a Statsport webinar about returning safely to sport.
- Lee Melotti contributed to a blog on the OPRO website discussing how contact can be managed more effectively.
- Richard Lancaster and Dr Chris Jones appeared on Shane William’s BBC concussion documentary ‘Concussion and Me’.
- Our SWA Sport Scientists have already published 2 from their series of white papers which analyse the data already collected from our database of 25,000 verified impacts and present insights:
1. Returning to Contact from Inactivity.
2. Why Measure Contact?
Other Interesting Reading
Meet the team
Brand, Commercial & Strategy
Head of Business Development & Marketing
Dr Chris Jones
Head of Science & Performance
Lead Sports Scientist